Cathedral Church of the Redeemer
The Cathedral Church of the Redeemer is the first Anglican church to have been constructed in what is now the Diocese of Calgary.
The original Church of the Redeemer was a small wooden frame building built on what is now Paget Park, just east of the current site. It was the first Anglican church to be constructed in what is now the Diocese of Calgary. It was completed and open for worship August 3, 1884. Originally intended to serve as a parish church, it was proclaimed a Pro (temporary) Cathedral on Feb. 14, 1889.
The parish replaced the frame church with a more elaborate structure in 1905, during Calgary's famous sandstone era. It is of local, rough cut Paskapoo sandstone, and has one of the oldest tin roofs in Calgary. It was designed by J.C.M. Keith of Victoria, BC. The Cathedral celebrated the 100th anniversary of the first service held in the building on July 30, 2005. It was designated a Registered Heritage Site in 1974.